Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What Keeps You Going?

Bob's step-mom Esther passed away last Friday. What a lovely woman she was. She lived 91 years and while her body slowly deteriorated over the last few years, her mind remained strong and her sense of humor never wavered. Since I lost my mom 15 years ago and Bob lost his mom 30 years ago, Esther filled a very important role in both of our lives and our kids lives. She is the only grandmother our kids have ever known.

I took a trip out to Phoenix this last September to help take care of Esther while Wayne went in for surgery. I helped her get to the bathroom, take a bath, cut her nails, washed her hair, brought her meals. As she aged, she went back to being cared for, just as we come into the world, needing others to care for our basic needs in order to survive. She liked me being in the room with her while she slept. It gave her comfort just knowing I was there. And when she awakened she would reach out and I would hold her soft, gentle hand. I felt so much at peace while at her side.

While I was there, her good friend, Joyce stopped by. I asked Joyce "what keeps Esther going?" She didn't know. She said how many times over the last couple of years she thought Esther would pass, but then she would come back full of life again, albeit a bit weaker each time. I then asked Ester the same question :"What keeps you going?" She smiled and said "Habit I guess. I just keep breathing, that's what I've always done, so I just keep doing it!" Later that evening Wayne came home from the hospital. I insisted that he rest and so he went to bed to take a nap. A bit later I peaked into their bedroom to make sure he was indeed resting. And what I witnessed brought genuine tears to my ears. Wayne was sound asleep with his kitty next to him on one side and Esther, sound asleep, curled up next to him with one arm around his chest and her head resting peacefully on his shoulder. It was a beautiful, tender moment. And that answered my question. What keeps her going? Wayne. Love. Adoration. Respect. Life shared with another.

Esther broke her hip last week and quickly went down hill from there. She was in a lot of pain and I am thankful that she allowed herself to transition to the next realm. Bob flew out to be with his dad and attend the funeral. He came home last night and presented me with Esther's engagement ring. Esther's daughter, Rhoda, and Wayne both felt that Esther would want me to have it. I will wear it with the memory of Esther's special wit, wisdom and love. Thank you Esther for being in my life.

1 comment:

  1. brought me to tears brenda. i am sorry for your loss, she seems like she was a really special person.

    i am glad you are starting a blog!

    ReplyDelete